WordPress widgets and sidebars are part of the navigation of your website, these often include things like your social media pages, categories, tags, contact info, etc.
Widgets are the name for the individual elements that make up a sidebar or footer. You can customise your sidebar and footer by going to the Appearance link in the right-hand sidebar and selecting Widgets. There you will see a large field containing the widgets in little boxes. If you look up the top you will see different tabs for sidebar and footer as well as any other navigation elements you might have.
To add a widget to your navigation element, simply choose the appropriate tab and drag the widget into the right-hand column that contains the widgets currently being displayed on your website. Likewise, to remove a website simply drag it back into the larger field.
- Go to Appearance > Widgets in the WordPress Administration Screens.
- Choose a Widget and either drag it to the sidebar where you wish it to appear, or click the widget, (select a destination sidebar if your theme has more than one) and click the Add Widget button. There might be more than one sidebar option, so begin with the first one. Once in place, WordPress automatically updates the Theme.
- Preview the site. You should find that the “default” sidebar elements are now gone and only the new addition is visible.
- Return to the Widgets Screen to continue adding Widgets.
- To arrange the Widgets within the sidebar or Widget area, click and drag it into place.
- To customize the Widget features, click the down arrow in the upper right corner to expand the Widget’s interface.
- To save the Widget’s customization, click Save.
- To remove the Widget, click Delete.
Be sure to check your site specific documentation if you are unsure whether or not you should change these elements.