Using the visual link editor makes adding links in WordPress really easy. Just select the text excerpt you want to be a link, click on the Create Link button (the one that looks like a chain link) and type or paste in the desired URL and a title (good for SEO). You can also select whether or not to open the link in a new page.
A good user experience rule is: if the link redirects to an external site, always make the link open in a new page so the user does not have to navigate back to the page they were on.
- Select the text you want to link and click on the Link icon.
- To unlink, select the link text and click on the Broken link icon.
- To link to an external site, copy-paste your URL into the text box.
- Give your link a title, this will appear on hover.
- Click this little check box to have the link open in a new window.
- You can also link to content that is already part of your site by choosing Or link to existing content. This will open up some more options.
- Search for the page you want by typing it into the search bar.
- Select the page you want and it will automatically fill the URL text box with the correct link and title.
- Select Cancel to go back to your post or page.
- Click Add link to insert your link.